Fighting For The Rights Of Georgia’s Injured For Decades

Seek compensation if you’ve been a victim of a slip-and-fall accident

On Behalf of | Jan 3, 2022 | premises liability: slip and falls

There are plenty of times when you could fall victim to a slip-and-fall accident. You might be walking in a retail store when you slip on a wet surface. You could be walking down stairs when they’ve become slick from water or a thin layer of ice.

While Georgia doesn’t always see significant cold fronts and freezing weather, there is a potential, especially in the northern part of the state, that you’ll run into ice and snow. If that happens, then you could see an increased risk of falling.

What should you do if you slip and fall on someone’s premises?

If you do slip and fall, whether it’s because of wet floors, ice or other conditions, you need to let the staff at that location know.

If you’re in a retail store, the manager on duty should be alerted to the injury. The manager or another employee should then fill out an accident or incident report. If you need medical attention, they should call 911 to have an ambulance come to the scene.

During this process, you should also consider asking for a video copy of the accident as well as witness information. That way, you can get more details if your attorney has further questions in the future.

Every slip-and-fall accident is different, so you may not have the time to ask questions or speak with witnesses. If you have someone with you, they may be able to take care of those things while you get medical attention. If not, seeking medical attention should be your priority.

After you get medical care and are stable, you can then consider if you want to make a claim. You may be able to learn more about the law and if you will have a right to compensation considering the accident and the damages that resulted.

If you have a case, it’s time to make your claim

If you do have a case, then you will need to collect evidence to help make a premises liability case against the business owner. Doing this may help you get compensation to cover your medical expenses and other financial losses.