Fighting For The Rights Of Georgia’s Injured For Decades

What if I’m hit by an uninsured driver?

On Behalf of | Aug 27, 2020 | motor vehicle accidents

Being involved in an auto accident is unsettling and frustrating. However, you can feel even more upset if an uninsured driver hits you. If you receive injuries in the crash, what are you supposed to do? Who will cover the costs of your injuries, as well as pay for the property damage to your vehicle?

What steps should I take after the accident?

In Georgia, about 12% of drivers are uninsured. If you end up in an accident with one, first you will want to report the crash to the police, especially if the uninsured driver left the scene. You also need to seek medical treatment immediately if you have injuries. You will need to have documentation of the accident and your injuries for your insurance company.

You also will need to contact your insurance company to check if you have uninsured or underinsured coverage. Drivers aren’t required to have this coverage in Georgia, but insurance companies must offer it to you. Having uninsured or underinsured coverage can help compensate you for your injuries and property damage.

While you will work with your own insurance company to cover your injuries and property damage, at some point, your insurance provider may balk at the costs involved in the accident.

What if my insurance doesn’t want to pay?

Don’t be surprised that if you run into problems with your insurance company paying for your injuries or property damage. Your insurance company may claim that:

  • Another driver was at-fault for the accident
  • You didn’t receive your injuries in the accident
  • Your uninsured motorist coverage doesn’t cover your injuries because they are minor

Should I consult an attorney?

If you find that your insurance company isn’t covering your injury claim as you need it to, you want to consult an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you evaluate how much your injury claim is worth and advocate for you so your insurance company offers you a fair settlement.